Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Thanksgiving


Is it bad to say that Thanksgiving is my most least favorite holiday?? Ya, it probably is a bad thing to say out loud, but it certainly doesn't change the way I feel about the holiday. The only reason why I'm not a big fan of this holiday is because of the food, which, to all of you, are thinking that that's the dumbest reason because the food is the best part. Well not to me, I'm the pickiest eater on the planet probably because I don't like Thanksgiving food. Ham for sure, turkey not so much. But the pie! I definitely love a good piece of pie, which is really the only thing about the holiday I do like, plus the fact that I enjoy being surrounded by my family as well.


I wanted to do something a little different from the old fashioned pie and made a galette instead. A galette is basically a pan-less, rustic pie. You still have the good old pie dough, fruit filling, and the optional crunchy topping. For this specific galette I wanted to do a flavor combo that I've never seen before, so I went with a pear and blueberry spice filling, and it for sure ended up being super scrumptious! 


Now I bought the pie dough from the grocery store, even though it's better from scratch, I didn't feel like going all out for it. Since a package of pie dough comes with 2 rounds I made this galette as well as the apple one in one day. Now you certainly don't have to do this, for all I care you can just make this filling and do a double crusted pie in a pan, just do what you feel. The only thing I do highly suggest is to eat this warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. You can't go wrong with warm pie and ice cream!

_________________________________________________________________________________
Blueberry & Pear Spiced Crumble Galette 
Makes 1 galette or double crusted pie
Filling
2 pears
1 1/2 cups blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
Juice of 1 lemon

Clean, peel and thinly slice the pears and then put the lemon juice on the pear slices to prevent them from turning brown. Add in the blueberries. Add the sugar, cinnamon and ginger and mix until fully combined.

Crumble
3-4 tbsp unsalted butter, cold
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
Dash of cinnamon
Dash of ginger

Mix all of the dry ingredients together and gradually add in cold butter and mix until small clumps form.

Assembly
Pie dough (you can either make your own or just use store bought, like I did)
Filling
Heavy cream
Crumble

Set oven to 400*F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Roll out the pie dough on the sheet pan and use a fork to make a few pricks in the center of the dough. Pile the filling into the center of the dough. With the outer part of the crust, start to fold it into the center until all of the dough is folded in towards the center. Take a little bit of the heavy cream and brush it onto the exposed dough. Put the crumble on top of the galette. Bake for 30 minutes, making sure to flip the pan halfway through.

No comments:

Post a Comment