Sunday, February 14, 2016

I Love You More Than All The Stars


What's the difference between living in the city and living on a farm in the middle of nowhere? You can see the stars. I love looking at the stars, there's just something about them that makes you feel peaceful. It would also be wonderful to actually be loved that much by someone.


I saw this quote one day,


"I love you more than all the stars"


and I just couldn't help but fall in love with it and it was the major inspiration for doing this cake. Looking at the stars makes me wonder on what could be out there. The universe is big and is filled with millions of stars and who knows what else. Life can be a mystery.


I wanted to make this cake dark like the night sky but also light and sparkly like the stars, it also gives it a really gorgeous contrast. So what I did was I made a dark velvet cake and iced it with a fluffy vanilla frosting that I turned silver and sprinkled with gold and silver star sprinkles. For the quote I just used some black fondant and used white-white to paint on the quote and the little details around the sides. I love this cake, it's super gorgeous and just reminds me of those summer nights at home where I can sit outside and just look at the stars.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Black Velvet Cake (Adapted from I Am Baker)
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tbsp black food coloring
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp white vinegar

Preheat oven to 350*F. In a bowl combine the flour, salt and cocoa powder. In the bowl of an electric mixer combine the sugar and oil and mix until combined. Add in the eggs, food coloring, and vanilla until combined. Alternate the flour mixture and the buttermilk until fully combined. In a tiny bowl mix the baking soda and the vinegar and then add to the batter and mix for a few seconds to incorporate. Pour the batter into greased pans lined with parchment paper and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Vanilla Frosting
4 sticks unsalted butter
6 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 tbsp vanilla extract
3-5 tbsp heavy whipping cream

In the bowl of an electric mixer mix the butter and powdered on the lowest speed to prevent a powdered sugar mess. Add the vanilla and gradually add in the heavy whipping cream until you like the consistency.

To Decorate
Take a box and lay it on its side. Cut open the sides slightly if you have to (pictured). Put your turntable with a piece of parchment paper on top and then set your frosted cake on the turn table in the box.


Take silver Wilton color mist and follow instructions on the bottle. (You can get this either at your local Michaels or online)


When spraying the color mist I advise you cover your nose and mouth with your shirt (it sort of has this chemically type smell). Gently turning your turn table spray the cake with the color mist until it is evenly covered and to your satisfaction.

OPTIONAL: Add on silver and gold star sprinkles. Or just decorate to your needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment