Sunday, January 31, 2016

Flamingos


I've never been to the beach. I've never been to the ocean. I've been to Florida and I go to school in North Carolina but yet have I ever gone to the beach or set a foot in the ocean. Its kind of sad if you think about it. At least I'll finally be able to go to the beach in March for spring break!

In the mean time, while thinking and dreaming of the tropics in this cold winter climate, I have been wanting to do something with a flamingo pattern. I hadn't really thought about how I was going to attempt doing the flamingo cake. Would it look good as a topper or should I paint it on to the side? It was a mind game all in itself. So one day I was Pinterest surfing and I found the best pattern that I really wanted to use for a cake, and this pattern was the best find that I came across! There's just something about the leaves that I love and I knew that it would go perfectly with the flamingo.
   

To make this cake even more tropical the flavors I used was a coconut cake with a lime curd filling and a vanilla buttercream with some lime zest and juice tossed in to give it a little flavor. This combination was heavenly, as I love a great coconut cake and a citrus flavor added into it. 

                                                                                                                                                                   
Coconut Cake
I used this recipe from Ina Garten
Follow the link for the recipe

Lime Curd (recipe adapted from Gourmet, December 1999)
1/2 cup key lime juice
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 stick butter

In a double boiler whisk the juice, sugar, and eggs together  add the butter and bring the water in the pot to a simmer. Let cook, whisking almost constantly, until the curd is thick or until it coats the back of a spoon and a thermometer read 160*F. Strain the curd through a fine sieve sifter to get rid of unwanted particles from the eggs and sugar. Press plastic wrap to the surface of the curd and refrigerate until cold.

NOTE: If you don't want to use lime juice, just swap it out for any other citrus juice, such as lemon, orange, grapefruit, etc..

No comments:

Post a Comment